Provide strategic oversight and manage the VPC ESOL Program. Responsible for program execution, including volunteer teacher recruiting and management, and community engagement for student recruiting. Facilitate communication between the VPC community and the ESOL community.
Major tasks, duties and responsibilities; essential functions
- Direct the ESOL Leadership team in program review, strategic planning and decision making.
- Plan and develop class offering and supporting curriculum with ESOL Leadership Team.
- Recruit, train, and supervise ESOL volunteer teachers, substitutes, and tutors for English, Bible, and Citizenship classes.
- Manage registration and placement of students in appropriate classes.
- Maintain working knowledge of second language acquisition resources and teaching methods. Advocate best practice techniques, including identification of teacher training needs.
- Lead process of gathering and analyzing strategic planning inputs (e.g., teacher survey, student survey and class reviews).
- Ensure effective program communication with teachers and students.
- Oversee content development and effectiveness of teacher resource website, ESOL@VPC.
- Oversee marketing efforts.
- Promote the VPC ESOL program through brochures, bulletins, newsletter articles and testimonials in the church and the community.
- Lead in-person event planning and preparation, including volunteer acquisition and management.
- Prepare the ESOL budget and management of the ESOL funds.
- Lead Teacher Orientation, training and recognition.
- Provide ongoing information and education for professional development of ESOL teachers (including the annual CEBESOL conference and ESLIM Teacher Training and workshops). Offer pertinent online training for teachers (e.g., Zoom instruction, practice workshops, online tools, best practices, etc.).
- Help to troubleshoot technical issues.
- Update Session as needed.
- Attend VPC staff meetings and fully participate in staff activities.
- Respond to/refer student special needs requests, such as immigration issues, social services referrals, and citizenship issues.
- A committed Christian who is able and eager to openly articulate faith in Jesus Christ as his/her Lord and Savior.
- Affirm the mission and values of VPC and be willing to be guided by them.
- Strong interpersonal and consensus-building skills.
- Excellent strategic planning, organizational and communication skills.
- Dependable, organized, and detail-oriented with the ability to multi-task with flexible responsiveness to changing ministry challenges.
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft365 and Zoom. Experience with Realm preferred. Ability to learn other programs as needed.
- Ability to work collaboratively with significant numbers of people, both paid VPC staff and volunteers across the range of VPC’s ministries.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- ESOL/TEFL teaching experience preferred. Experience teaching adults and managing adult volunteers helpful.
Thanks to Our Sponsors!